Friday, March 5, 2010

Transitions

I'll admit it - I am an extremist. There is no middle ground, no gray zone, no ambiguity when I become passionate about something (it's a blessing and a curse!) Transitioning to veganism was no different for me. I read Eat to Live, then I became vegan overnight.

But what about the kids? They were 4 & 6, we had only very recently done vegetarian, and they liked cheese (I kid you not, nine and a half times out of ten, people will tell you they "can't" ever be vegan because of the cheese. What the hell do they put in that stuff?!?! Hehe - I could tell you, but you might not like it. Uhmmhumm (calf tummy) umhummm).

But then I came to the realization that it's not just about the "food". It's about the values. I chose not to eat eggs and dairy because it's wrong. I was teaching them religious values, the difference between right and wrong, teaching them to be kind. Then why did it feel like it was shameful to teach them to eat thoughtfully and not inflict pain with their diet? Here's the secret, and the reason people freak when you tell them you're A Vegan. It is like saying the rest of the freaking world is wrong. Grandma and Grandpa are wrong. Your teachers are wrong. Your friends are wrong. And we've been living wrong. That's taking on A LOT, 'cause you're essentially saying that you are smarter/better/more compassionate than everyone else.

But the truth is, I feel everyone IS wrong, and the decision to be vegan IS right. For a lot of reasons, but no matter how you view it, eating animals and their fluids indisputably, undeniably, ironically conflicts with my desire to teach them ethical living and kindness. And I told them so. I told them that I had been making a mistake in the way we were eating. I explained that it wasn't good for our bodies, and that it hurts the animals. Kids are so much smarter than we ever give them credit for; they get it way quicker than grown-ups. I think it's because it really is such a simple concept; to stop hurting animals, stop eating them. And because I am the mom, and it is my job to make sure they are raised right, I threw out all the Krap - I mean, Kraft - foods in the house.

And I never bought them again. See? Easy!

xo,
Sarah

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~ Margaret Mead

1 comment:

  1. So eloquently put, Sarah! How could anyone argue with that! =)

    ReplyDelete