Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!

So, I've totally overindulged in chocolate today! Yum, and uggghhhh. I came across a posting for vegan(ish) peanut butter cups a few days ago, and became crazy obsessed. Resses be damned!

What better timing to cater to my not-infrequent-enough- choc-o-holic-whims then V-day? Hey, I'm single so no flowers for me, and I'll drown myself in sugar if I wanna! I set to work. Unfortunately, I am a typical over-planner, and get overwhelmed and rush my projects. In between painting my daughters room (with eco-friendly paint of course!), vacuuming the sand out of my car, turning the seriously overripe nasty bananas into oh-so-yummy muffins,  and dodging  "mom, mom, MOOOMMMM!!"s, I decided to make these treats. WHAT WAS I THINKING?

All the recipes I looked at were amazing, beautiful, and decadent. But I'm a mom - an insanely busy one- and I just wanted some dang PB and chocolate! Is that sssooooo much to ask?

I cheated.

And you know what? They were gooooooood. So good in fact, I almost did not share this with you because I can now so easily fake my non-existent confectioners talent with these.

Here's the secret:

Take a mini muffin pan
Put 1 Tbsp. chocolate chips in the bottom of each cup (please use liners. Do as I say, not as I do.)
Put in the oven for 2-3 min (I had mine set at 350 because I was baking)
Take out of oven
Put in a dollop of your choice of filling (I used Dandies vegan marshmallows - YEAH, baby! And PB)
Cover with another tablespoon or so chocolate chips (this isn't rocket science)
Put in the oven for 2-3 min
Take out of oven
Swirl chocolate to make it look pretty
Place in freezer
Take out of muffin cups
EAT IT and LIKE IT.






If you know me at all, I don't apologize for my food. But, I am sorry. These are so ugly. I forgot to take a picture of the pretty ones, and by the time I went to do so, they had all vanished! :-D

xo,
Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Very clever idea! On my list to try with my kiddos. I am curious... why are you recommending using paper liners when you didn't? Yours look like they popped out fine, so what will using the liners get me? I'm just thinking that if there's nothing to peel off that these will be easier for little fingers to manage. Fill me in girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! They did pop out, but with insane effort (and 2 broken knife tips!) The liners would make it easier, and I think a little less messy. Let me know if you try it! I think I am remaking them this week, so I'll try it that way, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Alicia Silverstone's Peanut Butter Cups recipe? I made them yesterday...
    http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/recipes/chocolate-peanut-butter-cups-recipe?click=main_sr

    SO yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great! I like the idea of adding graham crackers for the crunch factor - maybe I'll try that recipe next time, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I will definitely try this in the coming Valentine's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete